I rode my bike through the Westside and up to the top of UCSC,
around and back down: 11.5 miles total.
This was shorter than the Saturday ride, but I'm out of cycling shape and I really kept thinking I wouldn't make it to the top.
There were moments when I absolutely wanted to quit. There were moments when my quads were cramping, I was gasping for air and literally the only thing that kept me going was a mantra of "you.can.do.this". And, cheesy or not, I know that that mantra was born from the CrossFit world. Finishing all those stupid (wonderful) WODS that made me want to cry and/or die is really what has instilled in me the idea that I CAN do things.
So thank you CrossFit.
Thank you for convincing me that I can do pullups and throw heavy weight around. Thank you for convincing me that 30 wasn't too late to learn how to swim. Thank you for teaching me that strong is beautiful. Thank you for putting that little voice inside my head that told me to quit my job, and change my life, and make it to the top of that goddamned hill.
Because the view from the top sure.is.nice.
And flying down that hill, toward a panoramic sunset, wind-swept, spent and happy is something you just.can't.buy.
You make me happy, Em.
ReplyDeleteLove this post!
ReplyDelete