Sunday, April 4, 2010

Sunday Run Day

Today was my last long-ish run before next week's 10K.

I decided to mix things up and do intervals instead of a long slowish run.

This was a variation of a workout Sam gave me last year as I was training for a 10K.

10 rounds
800M run
2 handstand pushups (to the ab mat)
5 pullups

2 minutes of rest between rounds.

800 M runs:
1. 3:32
2. 3:34
3. Malfunction with Sam's timing (he was talking to someone)
4. 3:49
5. Malfunction with Emily's timing (I took the stopwatch away from Sam since he wasn't paying attention. However, I failed to press the correct start button. Heh.)
6. 3:47
7. 3:43
8. 3:40
9. 3:41
10. 3:33

The runs were hard today. My legs were toast from the last 4 days, the wind was in my face, the air was cold, I felt slow and sluggish and wussy. I tried to tell Sam that I was slow because our 800M run involves running uphill.

He pointed out that the 800m run also involves running downhill.

Scoundrel.

I guess I just have to accept that I'm not in tip-top running shape. Last year when I did this 10K, I had just finished the Napa Marathon. I had a strong running base. I added speedwork and CrossFit to that base and I plowed through a new PR, taking 4 minutes off my previous 10K time. This year I'll be happy if I just finish with an 8 minute mile pace. Cross those fingers and toes, because even that goal feels out of reach.

On the flip side, I was pretty excited about the handstand push-ups. Yes, they were modified, but they were closer to the ground than they used to be. And progress always counts for somethin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment