Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Tuesday Night

Bit of a rough day at the ol' homestead as a package (expected, but somber none-the-less) arrived.

I spent hours hunched over the wheel, trimming bowls, which was good for my mental state, but not so great for the physical state. Back ache, anyone? I must remember to work on my posture. It's bad enough to be bent over, but to be bent over AND slumped over--well that's just a recipe for disaster...

Thus, off to the 6:30 class did I go.

Skill:
Press
Take 90% of old 1RM (90% of 85 = 76.5)
5 x 75% of this new number (75& of 76.5 = 57.35)
3 x 85% (85% of 76.5 = 65)
Max Rep x 95% (95% of 72.57)

5 x 58
3 x 68
4 x 73

Kyle gave me a few pointers on this which really helped. I've always started the press from the same position one would start the push press, or a jerk, that is--with my elbows up. He had me move my grip in and my elbows down a bit, creating a better line for the bar to press straight overhead. It felt a little awkward at first, but it really did seem to help.

WOD:
3 rounds
AMRAP in 5 min
5 dumbbell snatch (each arm) 20#
7 pushups
9 box jumps

5, 4, 3 + 3 box jumps

I've never actually done a dumbbell snatch before and I'm pretty sure I was doing them completely wrong. The first round felt fine but about halfway through the second round I started flailing all over the place. I'm guessing that as my arms got tired, the weird muscle snatch thing I was doing stopped working. The pushups weren't as bad as they usually are (maybe I'm finally getting a little of my strength back?), but the box jumps sucked. Box jumps always suck. Inevitably I find myself halfway through a box jump WOD, staring down the box, willing myself not to do step-ups. I'm happy to say I won the battle tonight, though I haven't always been so lucky.

Stupid box jumps.

1 comment:

  1. Oh yes, box jumps are very stupid...I fought that same battle and lost in a couple of the rounds. :)

    ReplyDelete