Thursday, January 21, 2010

Paleo Challenge

Well, after several months off, I've now been a week back at CrossFit and I've decided to jump on the board the Paleo Challenge 2.0. I've gone Paleo before (and enjoyed it), but have since fallen off the bandwagon. All the way off. Bumping down the road, clutching a Jumbo-sized bag of Doritos off.

Prior to this week, I'd been completely stagnant for almost four months.This is the laziest I've been in YEARS. I've always run, even when I've become a slacker about everything else. I've gained a few good pounds (not muscle mass, these), and my clothes are no longer fitting. My energy is down. I spent most of the winter watching bad romantic comedies and feeling depressed. I made Sam take our pre-Paleo photos when no one was around and I cried when I saw the results. Clearly this isn't the way to spend a life, so back on board I go.

I'm attempting this time to go completely Paleo. In other words; no dairy. (Sidenote: I "technically" have a dairy allergy)...which is to say that after suffering numerous health issues as a child, I went to an allergist where they ran a very long and complicated test involving skin pricks and then said, "you have a dairy allergy". As I became older the health issues associated with the allergy migrated into a sort of general malaise, signified with achi-ness and headaches. A small price to pay--in my mind--for the deliciousness of dairy. (I LOVE CHEESE.)


But away we go. I'm 10 days in (7 without dairy), and I'm feeling great. I haven't lost a single pound, but I have gone down a notch on my belt. The general bloat around my middle is gone (although the pudginess remains). My skin is starting to clear up (I suspect this is directly related to the dairy), my energy is good, and I'm learning to like black espresso with a little bit of honey. I'm sore everywhere and have found that CrossFit isn't very forgiving. But I'm having fun and I'm looking forward to all this may bring.


So here we go, down the rabbit hole...

There are four benchmarks for this Paleo Challenge 2.0.

I have completed two:

Max pullups : 19
&
Christine:
3 rounds:
400 m run
12 deadlifts (I did 123#...about 10 below my BW)
21 boxjumps
Finishing with a time of 13:02.

Tomorrow I'm heading into open gym to complete the last two:
Max Back Squat
and
500 m row

Here's to health!





No comments:

Post a Comment